Do I Need a Plumber or a Heating Engineer?

When something goes wrong with the heating, water, pipes or appliances in your home it’s not always obvious who to call. You naturally want to ensure the tradesperson you trust with your property is able to do their job to a high standard - but how do you know which specialism you need them to have? While many people assume all water and heating issues can be dealt with by a plumber, this is not always the case.

The experienced team at Tim Reynolds have written the following guide to clue in on the best person to contact for particular jobs that may need carrying out in your home. 

When should you call a plumber?

Plumbers have experience in everything that relates to the pipes inside and outside your home. This includes kitchen and bathroom sinks, toilets, showers and baths. It also includes problems with appliances like dishwashers and washing machines. Finally, plumbers can also fit and repair external water pipes going into your home. So if you have a leaking tap, a broken toilet cistern or need a power shower installing (to name just a few jobs), a plumber is who you need to call! 

When should you call a heating engineer?

A heating engineer is often a plumber also, but not always. The main difference between a plumber and a heating engineer is that a heating engineer is qualified to carry out specialist work on your central heating system. This includes:

  • Installing boilers

  • Servicing boilers

  • Carrying out repairs to boilers, radiators and thermostats

  • Undertaking specialist central heating tasks like powerflushing

A heating engineer should be Gas Safe registered, and OFTEC registered if installing or working on oil boilers. 

Offering plumbing & heating services in Hampshire, Dorset & Poole

At Tim Reynolds, we are able to provide full plumbing services as well as complete care for your central heating system. We’re qualified both in general plumbing work and also as specialist heating engineers. So if you’re based in Verwood, Alderholt, Hampshire, Ringwood, West Moors, Ferndown, Ashley Heath, Fordingbridge, Bournemouth and Poole, we’d be happy to help with whatever your home needs. To contact us, you can call 01202 802281, email or send a message via our online contact form